July 31st Hotfixes: Ectoplasmic Distiller no longer generates threat

Wow Classic Ectoplasmic Distiller

Blizzard has posted an update to the Hotfixes threat, in this case there were only a few changes applies.

The one most players will be interested in is the removal of threat generation from the tier 0.5 quest item Ectoplasmic Distiller.

Bornakk also posted a reply on the forums:

A hotfix was applied late last night that made it so the Ectoplasmic Distiller quest item would no longer generate threat. We made this change because in patch 1.12, dropping this item applied a buff to everybody in range of the item, and since buffs generate threat by default, it could be used to trivialize the threat mechanics in many encounters. We don’t believe this was an intended effect and this was a case where the impact was extreme enough to warrant the change.

Another notable reason for the change is that this item is not a quest reward, but item used as part of the mechanics to complete a quest, which is then removed when the quest is complete. We want quest completion to be a rewarding experience, and not feel like a mistake.

Source

Linxy – (Source)

• The Ectoplasmic Distiller quest item no longer generates threat.
    • Developers’ note: Ordinarily we err on the side of authenticity when it comes to clever use of mechanics in Classic, even if we believe the original development team would have made a change given the same information we now have. The Ectoplasmic Distiller presents a rare exception mainly due to its severity: this new discovery of an unintended mechanic would completely trivialize most threat gameplay in raids for the remainder of Classic if left unchecked, including upcoming bosses in Ahn’Qiraj and Naxxramas.
  • The pages for the quest “Draconic for Dummies” are now Epic quality.
    • Developers’ note: We’re changing the item quality on “Draconic for Dummies” quest pages to Epic (purple) so that they’ll be easier to distribute to the correct person in raids using Group Loot or Master Looter.

About the Author

Furious

If I'm not working or spending time with the family I'm probably gaming. Some of my favorite recent games I've played are Far Cry 5, World of Warcraft Classic, and 7 Days to Die.

Subscribe
Notify of

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Scroll to Top