User avatar
US Staghelm
18
brank
Alliance
6 months ago  •  Unread 

Seems a lot of the hype around classic revolves around the return of a vibrant and active community.. my question is will it meet the expectations people have now? Vanilla was a long time ago - and although private servers are evidence that community building is indeed still possible, I fear that it's just not gna be the same on official Classic servers.

Perhaps we were happier to help each other out back then because we were younger, or because the game was so new. Maybe seeing as it was a smaller player base on each server? Or conversely was it the challenge of the activities in vanilla that sort of forced people to play nice with each other?

I'm certain guilds will function well in the same way that they do now, but I doubt that feeling of server-wide cognition and familiarity will be resurrected by Classic.

User avatar
US Garona
19
brank
Alliance
6 months ago  •  Unread 

It all depends on how the mechanics will be designed. Keep it faithful to the vanilla design philosophy? Then people will have to help each other and most importantly invest a lot more time into organising groups, which in turn gives more weight to individual and group reputation.

It they try and modernise the game with dungeon finder, and even small life improvements like easily accessible portals, they will already be diminishing the importance of other players and it won’t work.

Image
User avatar
EU Boulderfist
19
brank
Alliance
6 months ago  •  Unread 

Yeah been thinking this myself - are we simply looking through rose-tinted glasses here?

Now that the world has been explored, and those returning to classic may (or may not, lol) have a good idea of what to expect. The world will have been explored, the quests understood, dungeon tactics revisited etc. Will people still need to help each other in the same way that they did when it all began? I'm not so sure.

6 months ago  •  Unread 

Finesse wrote:
6 months ago
Yeah been thinking this myself - are we simply looking through rose-tinted glasses here?

Now that the world has been explored, and those returning to classic may (or may not, lol) have a good idea of what to expect. The world will have been explored, the quests understood, dungeon tactics revisited etc. Will people still need to help each other in the same way that they did when it all began? I'm not so sure.
I can guarantee you that even those who consider themselves 'experienced' will still encounter a learning curve when it comes to replaying Classic.

So much was different that I reckon only vanilla private server players will have any advantage in this respect having played it day in and day out.

User avatar
EU Blade's Edge
12
brank
Alliance
6 months ago  •  Unread 

Ravenheart wrote:
6 months ago
Finesse wrote:
6 months ago
Yeah been thinking this myself - are we simply looking through rose-tinted glasses here?

Now that the world has been explored, and those returning to classic may (or may not, lol) have a good idea of what to expect. The world will have been explored, the quests understood, dungeon tactics revisited etc. Will people still need to help each other in the same way that they did when it all began? I'm not so sure.
I can guarantee you that even those who consider themselves 'experienced' will still encounter a learning curve when it comes to replaying Classic.

So much was different that I reckon only vanilla private server players will have any advantage in this respect having played it day in and day out.
I agree, there's too many naysayers who claim that it has all been done already and there is no enjoyment to be had anymore.

5 months ago  •  Unread 

I think the community will meet expectations. When the game is made the way it is, it is not the game that is formed around the community, but the community that forms around the game.

If I can be rude, and rough; a game forming itself around the community rather than the other way around, that is what current World of Warcraft is.

When a community forms itself around a game, the players are still in the mercy of the game, and the players will do what they can, with the tools they are given to survive. The way Classic was, a community will grow, and be vibrant and active, because players will have to use the help of each other. This will naturally happen when people start to understand what kind of game Classic is.

Again, if I can be rude and rough; the game will make the community police itself. The community will call out players who are not up to the kind, community standards, and weed itself out.

So in many ways, yes, the community will meet expectations.

User avatar
EU Tarren Mill
8
brank
Alliance
5 months ago  •  Unread 

Firelord wrote:
5 months ago
When a community forms itself around a game, the players are still in the mercy of the game, and the players will do what they can, with the tools they are given to survive. The way Classic was, a community will grow, and be vibrant and active, because players will have to use the help of each other. This will naturally happen when people start to understand what kind of game Classic is.
eve online player here - we play on a single worldwide server, that is a single shard server with as many as 30,000 people online at one time. its a tough game throughout, no matter how long you have played, and like you say they build with the tools they are given

i dont think classic will be necessarily a 'hard' game but it won't be a steamroll either like a lot of players believe. this is why classic will succeed - because players will be forced to interact unlike the lonely modern version where you just queue, spam and then leave without a word

5 months ago  •  Unread 

omniGG wrote:
5 months ago
i dont think classic will be necessarily a 'hard' game but it won't be a steamroll either like a lot of players believe. this is why classic will succeed - because players will be forced to interact unlike the lonely modern version where you just queue, spam and then leave without a word
To me, Classic was never 'hard' in the sense of you are going through the greatest challenge of all time. However, the way Classic was made, there was an all-around tedium that built up towards a reward that meant a lot to you when you got it, and that also did last you a long time.

Tedium
/ˈtiːdɪəm/
noun
the state or quality of being tedious, slowness.
Though 'tedium' also means something being dull, dry and boring, it is not what I only mean. Yes, Classic was dull, dry and boring in many areas, just how the current game has those areas as well.

However, with Classic, the tedium was something enjoyable, too. You went through something, whether that being alone or with other players, and you got something out of it, something worthwhile. It was a great balance, a balance I think is lost today in the current game, since it has become something of minimal effort; for the greatest of rewards, making the reward itself feel dull and useless, giving no sense of pride over it.

A great quote I saw during the Warlords of Draenor era-

Back in Vanilla, you felt pride, happiness and great enjoyment after obtaining an item that meant a lot to have, even if the journey to it was a grindy and tedium one.

In the current game, you feel nothing but relief that everything is just done with, and the item itself makes you feel nothing.
Classic was all-around hard, difficult or tedious. The whole world was a challenge at each appropriate level, but not by a ridiculous amount—just good enough to give great sense of pride and enjoyment with what you accomplish with your character.

The current game has lost all that, and the only thing they can brag about being difficult, is the high-end raiding, and that's it. To me, that is not a good balance, at all.

User avatar
US Hyjal
15
brank
Horde
5 months ago  •  Unread 

Well put. What’s a reward worth anyway if u dont work hard for it.

@omniGG also an eve player here! o/

People who liked this post: omniGG
5 months ago  •  Unread 

Quillboar wrote:
5 months ago
Well put. What’s a reward worth anyway if u dont work hard for it.

@omniGG also an eve player here! o/
In my opinion, Classic had a nicer and more natural flow of rewards and their significance to your character. Some rewards weren’t “big” but still they were a significant improvement to your character. That extra stamina or even extra +2 strength was a good boost for you, even at lower levels. Every level bracket could give you items that could last you as long as 10 levels if you went through to get them.

You were rewarded for your effort, and the rewards gave you a sense of pride and was an achievement in its own way.

5 months ago  •  Unread 

@Firelord I share a lot of your sentiments!

I believe the community will flourish, but there will be some growing pains given the large influx of people that have never played vanilla before. The good news is that the game itself encourages community building through cooperative game-play. Vanilla presents challenges that require teamwork and communication, and then rewards you for your efforts. It's a satisfying balance. The need to interact with other players is part of what make vanilla WoW such a good MMO. You will get to know the people on your server through questing, offering profession services, raids, etc. People that are toxic will be blacklisted, and those with a good reputation will build a network of people willing to help them.

What's really nice to see is the huge response from everyone looking forward to Classic. I see so many discussions like this from people concerned about making the community great, and that is a good sign. People want community, and I think there will be a real effort to make it happen.

_________________________________
Cuppa
☕
5 months ago  •  Unread 

I think the more important question to ask is, what can we individually do to help the community we're looking to build meet expectations? Being helpful, thoughtful, patient, fun and social will make the game more accessible to people that haven't played it before. Returning players can be helped back into the groove and newbies can get caught up to speed. This is a rare opportunity and all it takes is one fantastic interaction that spawns a friendship that will negate any cranky veterans that might otherwise be hostile.

If we all do our part to have fun playing the game we love, that's going to be infectious and newcomers alike will have fun too. I've played on Nostalrius, Kronos 1&2, Elysium and Lights Hope and every time there have been new social interactions and adventures that make the game feel like new every time. Whether it be advice, a kind word, tips or suggestions just remember to be generous with your knowledge and understand that not everyone will have our advantage. I honestly think the community will turn out better than some might expect.

User avatar
US Garona
19
brank
Alliance
5 months ago  •  Unread 

Some really great commentary here guys. Like @Jynirax has mentioned, it’s all going to be about how people approach the game with a positive attitude and help each other.

For example I played for a while and then stopped because I just didn’t get that. I came back for a second go and a guy called Notlad randomly challenged me to a duel outside SW (and obviously kicked my ass). We got talking and he realised I was a noob and showed me the under stormwind bug, and some other walljumping stuff. I eventually joined his guild and the rest is history. Notty if you are out there, thank you!

Image
5 months ago  •  Unread 

@Cuppa

@Jynirax

Great posts, and values I share.

Sure, being a positive sunshine every day is not going to happen, and to force yourself to help people every day is not something that is gonna happen either. However, simply having respect and a good attitude even if you're not 'feeling it' will hold people and yourself to a great standard still. Simply showing respect is a great attribute, and will take you a long way.

5 months ago  •  Unread 

Do you guys feel that the average age of the player base could play a role here?

I mean, most of us interested in Classic are in our thirties (or at least towards it). Or that's how I see it. Why would a teenager want to play some outdated videogame from the past decade, when the market has so much more to offer?

Mature community is almost universally a more appealing community. And usually mature people are those, who have more responsibilities IRL. Therefore I feel like everything should be alright.

- anno 2005.